Useful tips for conservation
A fresh Black truffle of Teruel, the best delicacy
The best way to enjoy the excellence of the black truffle of Teruel, tuber melanosporum Vitt., and its unparalleled and unmistakable smell and flavor is to consume it fresh. This means up to 10 days after it has been harvested. The black truffle of Teruel is in its fullness during this period.
To preserve the truffle fresh it is necessary to bear in mind the following tips:
- The truffle should be stored with the earth adhered to it, to the extent possible. It should only be cleaned at the precise moment of using it for consumption.
- Truffles must be stored in the lower part of fridges that do not dry up too much. Temperature for refrigeration must be under 3ºC.
- We do not recommend leaving them open to air as there is risk of oxidation, with the subsequent loss of scent.
- It is advisable to use baskets or porous containers, like earthen vessels, to store the truffles.
- Truffles must never be put in plastic containers.
- It is good practice covering them with a damp cloth.
- When cleaning the truffles before its consumption, it is convenient to use cold water and a small brush to remove earth from their roughness.
How to conserve the Black truffle of Teruel
Since this cooking delicacy is not available fresh throughout the whole year and it has an increasing demand out of season, the Black truffle of Teruel is also offered and kept:
- in its natural juice
- in extra virgin olive oil, certificate of origin from Lower Aragon
- in brandy (though the maderisation modifies its smell)
Another way of preserving the truffles fresh is freezing them separately with the purpose of consuming them throughout the year.
Be careful not to confuse the kind of freezing that can be done at a conventional freezer at home, with the ultra freezing with nitrogen, which is undoubtedly the most adequate to preserve all properties of the truffle.
If you are to use a frozen truffle, you won’t need to defrost it but just grate it over the foods you are cooking. This way, in case you do not use the whole of it, you can still keep it in the freezer. We advise you to wrap the truffles with aluminum foil before putting them in any of those special bags for freezing found in the market.
YOU WILL SUCCEED WITH THE BLACK TRUFFLE OF TERUEL!
Buy fresh truffles in season and enjoy them the whole year!